- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 01, Book 03, Hadith Number 080).
Narated By Anas : Allah’s Apostle said, “From among the
portents of the Hour are (the following):
1. Religious knowledge will be taken away (by the death of
Religious learned men).
2. (Religious) ignorance will prevail.
3. Drinking of Alcoholic drinks (will be very common).
4. There will be prevalence of open illegal sexual intercourse.
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 01, Book 03, Hadith Number 085).
Narated By Abu Huraira : The Prophet said, “(Religious) knowledge will be taken away (by the death of religious
scholars) ignorance (in religion) and afflictions will
appear; and Harj will increase.” It was asked, “What is
Harj, O Allah’s Apostle?” He replied by beckoning with his
hand indicating “killing.”
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 002, Book 017, Hadith Number 146).
Narated By Abu Huraira : The Prophet said, “The Hour (Last
Day) will not be established until (religious) knowledge
will be taken away (by the death of religious learned men),
earthquakes will be very frequent, time will pass quickly,
afflictions will appear, murders will increase and money
will overflow amongst you.” (See Hadith No. 85 Vol 1).
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 02, Book 24, Hadith Number 490).
Narated By Ibn Masud : I heard the Prophet saying, “There
is no envy except in two: a person whom Allah has given
wealth and he spends it in the right way, and a person whom
Allah has given wisdom (i.e. religious knowledge) and he
gives his decisions accordingly and teaches it to the others.”
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 05, Book 57, Hadith Number 030).
Narated By Hamza’s father : Allah’s Apostle said, “While I
was sleeping, I saw myself drinking (i.e. milk), and I was
so contented that I saw the milk flowing through my nails.
Then I gave (the milk) to ‘Umar.” They (i.e. the companions
of the Prophet) asked, “What do you interpret it?” He said,
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 01, Book 03, Hadith Number 079).
Narated By Abu Musa : The Prophet said, “The example of
guidance and knowledge with which Allah has sent me is like
abundant rain falling on the earth, some of which was
fertile soil that absorbed rain water and brought forth
vegetation and grass in abundance. (And) another portion of
it was hard and held the rain water and Allah benefited the
people with it and they utilized it for drinking, making
their animals drink from it and for irrigation of the land
for cultivation. (And) a portion of it was barren which
could neither hold the water nor bring forth vegetation
(then that land gave no benefits). The first is the example
of the person who comprehends Allah’s religion and gets
benefit (from the knowledge) which Allah has revealed
through me (the Prophets and learns and then teaches
others. The last example is that of a person who does not
care for it and does not take Allah’s guidance revealed
through me (He is like that barren land.)”
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 01, Book 03, Hadith Number 098).
Narated By Abu Huraira : I said: “O Allah’s Apostle! Who
will be the luckiest person, who will gain your intercession on the Day of Resurrection?” Allah’s Apostle said: O Abu Huraira! “I have thought that none will ask me about it before you as I know your longing for the (learning of) Hadiths. The luckiest person who will have my intercession on the Day of Resurrection will be the one who said sincerely from the bottom of his heart “None has the right to be worshipped but Allah.”
And ‘Umar bin ‘Abdul ‘Aziz wrote to Abu Bakr bin Hazm,
“Look for the knowledge of Hadith and get it written, as I
am afraid that religious knowledge will vanish and the
religious learned men will pass away (die). Do not accept
anything save the Hadiths of the Prophet. Circulate
knowledge and teach the ignorant, for knowledge does not
vanish except when it is kept secretly (to oneself).”
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 06, Book 61, Hadith Number 543).
Narated By ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar : Allah’s Apostle said, “Not
to wish to be the like except of two men. A man whom Allah
has given the knowledge of the Book and he recites it
during the hours of the night, and a man whom Allah has
given wealth, and he spends it in charity during the night
and the hours of the day.”
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 09, Book 89, Hadith Number 255.
Narated By ‘Abdullah : Allah’s Apostle said, “Do not wish
to be like anyone, except in two cases: (1) A man whom
Allah has given wealth and he spends it righteously. (2) A
man whom Allah has given wisdom (knowledge of the Qur’an
and the Hadith) and he acts according to it and teaches it
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 09, Book 92, Hadith Number 419).
Narated By ‘Abdullah : Allah’s Apostle said, “Do not wish
to be like anybody except in two cases: The case of a man
whom Allah has given wealth and he spends it in the right
way, and that of a man whom Allah has given religious
wisdom (i.e., Qur’an and Sunna) and he gives his verdicts
according to it and teaches it.” (to others i.e., religious
knowledge of Qur’an and Sunna (Prophet’s Traditions)).”
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 08, Book 73, Hadith Number 037).
Narated By Abu Sulaiman and Malik bin Huwairith : We came
to the Prophet and we were (a few) young men of
approximately equal age and stayed with him for twenty
nights. Then he thought that we were anxious for our
families, and he asked us whom we had left behind to look
after our families, and we told him. He was kind-hearted
and merciful, so he said, “Return to your families and
teach them (religious knowledge) and order them (to do good
deeds) and offer your prayers in the way you saw me
offering my prayers, and when the stated time for the
prayer becomes due, then one of you should pronounce its
call (i.e. the Adhan), and the eldest of you should lead
you in prayer.
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 07, Book 62, Hadith Number 158).
Narated By Anas : I will narrate to you a Habith I heard
from Allah’s Apostle and none other than I will tell you of
it. I heard Allah’s Apostle saying, “From among the
portents of the Hour are the following: Religious knowledge
will be taken away; General ignorance (in religious matters) will increase; illegal Sexual intercourse will prevail: Drinking of alcoholic drinks will prevail. Men will decrease in number, and women will increase in number, so much so that fifty women will be looked after by one man.”
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 04, Book 55, Hadith Number 572).
Narated By Abu Huraira : The people said, “O Allah’s
Apostle! Who is the most honourable amongst the people (in
Allah’s Sight)?” He said, “The most righteous amongst
them.” They said, “We do not ask you, about this. ” He
said, “Then Joseph, Allah’s Prophet, the son of Allah’s
Prophet, The son of Allah’s Prophet the son of Allah’s
Khalil (i.e. Abraham).” They said, “We do not want to ask
about this,” He said’ “Then you want to ask about the
descent of the Arabs. Those who were the best in the
Pre-Islamic period of ignorance will be the best in Islam
provided they comprehend the religious knowledge.”
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 09, Book 092, Hadith Number 461).
Narated By Ubaidullah : Ibn ‘Abbas said, “Why do you ask
the people of the scripture about anything while your Book
(Qur’an) which has been revealed to Allah’s Apostle is
newer and the latest? You read it pure, undistorted and
unchanged, and Allah has told you that the people of the
scripture (Jews and Christians) changed their scripture and
distorted it, and wrote the scripture with their own hands
and said, ‘It is from Allah,’ to sell it for a little gain.
Does not the knowledge which has come to you prevent you
from asking them about anything? No, by Allah, we have
never seen any man from them asking you regarding what has
been revealed to you!”
- (Sahih Muslim Book 04, Hadith Number 1725).
Chapter : Concerning dozing off in prayer, or faltering of
one’s tongue in the recitation of the Qur’an, or in
mentioning of Allah, one should sleep, or stop it till one
‘Abdullah is reported to have said: Keep refreshing your
knowledge of the sacred books (or always renew your
knowledge of these sacred books) and sometimes he would
mention the Qur’an for it is more apt to escape from men’s
minds than animals which are hobbled, and the Messenger of
Allah (may peace be upon him) said: None of you should say:
I forgot such and such a verse, but he has been made to
- (Sahih Muslim Book 34, Hadith Number 6451).
Chapter : Knowledge would be taken away and ignorance would prevail upon people and the turmoil at the end of the
world.Anas b. Malik reported Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: It is from the conditions of the Last Hour
that knowledge would be taken away and ignorance would
prevail (upon the world), the liquor would be drunk, and
adultery would become rampant.
- (Sahih Muslim Book 34, Hadith Number 6458).
Chapter : Knowledge would be taken away and ignorance would prevail upon people and the turmoil at the end of the
world.Abu Huraira reported Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: (When) the time would draw close to the
Last Hour, knowledge would be snatched away, turmoil would
be rampant, miserliness would be put (in the hearts of the
people) and there would be much bloodshed. They said: What
is al-harj? Thereupon he said: It is bloodshed.
- (Sahih Muslim Book 34, Hadith Number 6442).
Chapter : Prohibition of making a hot pursuit of the
allegories contained in the Qur’an and avoiding those who
do it, and of disputation in the Qur’an.
‘Aisha reported that Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon
him) recited (these verses of the Qur’an): “He it is Who
revealed to thee (Muhammad) the Book (the Qur’an) wherein
there are clear revelations-these are the substance of the
Book and others are allegorical (verses). And as for those
who have a yearning for error they go after the allegorical
verses seeking (to cause) dissension, by seeking to explain
them. And none knows their implications but Allah, and
those who are sound in knowledge say: We affirm our faith
in everything which is from our Lord. It is only the
persons of understanding who really heed” (iii. 6). ‘Aisha
(further) reported that Allah’s Messenger (may peace be
upon him) said (in connection with these verses): When you
see such verses, avoid them, for it is they whom Allah has
pointed out (in the mentioned verses).
- (Sahih Muslim Book 30, Hadith Number 5668).
Chapter : Pertaining to the similitude with which Allah’s
Apostle (may peace be upon him) has been sent with guidance
Abu Musa reported Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him)
as saying: The similitude of that guidance and knowledge
with which Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, has sent me is
that of rain falling upon the earth. There is a good piece
of land which receives the rainfall (eagerly) and as a
result of it there is grown in it herbage and grass
abundantly. Then there is a land hard and barren which
retains water and the people derive benefit from it and
they drink it and make the animals drink. Then there is
another land which is barren. Neither water is retained in
it, nor is the grass grown in it. And that is the similitude of the first one who develops the understanding of the religion of Allah and it becomes a source of benefit to him with which Allah sent me. (The second one is that) who acquires the knowledge of religion and imparts it to others. (Then the other type is) one who does not pay attention to (the revealed knowledge) and thus does not accept guidance of Allah with which I have been sent.
- The Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.W) said: “The seeking of knowledge is obligatory for every Muslim.” – (Tirmidhi, Hadith 74).
- The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “One who treads a path in search of knowledge has his path to Paradise made easy by God…” – (Riyadh us-Saleheen, 245)
- The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “A servant of God will remain standing on the Day of Judgment until he is questioned about his (time on earth) and how he used it; about his knowledge and how he utilized it; about his wealth and from where he acquired it and in what (activities) he spent it; and about his body and how he used it.” – (Tirmidhi, Hadith 148)
- The Prophet also said: “Knowledge from which no benefit is derived is like a treasure out of which nothing is spent in the cause of God.” – (Tirmidhi, Hadith 108)
- The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “God, His angels and all those in Heavens and on Earth, even ants in their hills and fish in the water, call down blessings on those who instruct others in beneficial knowledge.” – Tirmidhi, Hadith 422
- The Prophet also said: “Acquire knowledge and impart it to the people.” – (Tirmidhi, Hadith 107)
- The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him, S.A.W.W) said: “If anyone travels on a road in search of knowledge, God will cause him to travel on one of the roads of Paradise. The angels will lower their wings in their great pleasure with one who seeks knowledge. The inhabitants of the heavens and the Earth and (even) the fish in the deep waters will ask forgiveness for the learned man. The superiority of the learned over the devout is like that of the moon, on the night when it is full, over the rest of the stars. The learned are the heirs of the Prophets, and the Prophets leave (no monetary inheritance), they leave only knowledge, and he who takes it takes an abundant portion. – (Sunan of Abu-Dawood, Hadith 1631)
- Muhammad bin Jubair bin Mut’im narrated that his father said: “The Messenger of Allah stood up at Khaif in Mina and said: ‘May Allah cause his face to shine, the man who hears what I say and conveys it (to others). (Sunan Ibn e Majah, Book of Sunnah, Hadith no 231)
- ‘Abdulldh bin Abi Qatâdah narrated that his father said: “The Messenger of Allah said: ‘the best things that a man can leave behind are three: A righteous son who will pray for him, ongoing charity whose reward will reach him, and knowledge which is acted upon after his death.’”(Sunan Ibn e Majah, Book of Sunnah, Hadith no 241)
- (Sahih Bukhari Volume 02, Book 23, Hadith Number 468).
Narated By Samura bin Jundab : Whenever the Prophet
finished the (morning) prayer, he would face us and ask,
“Who amongst you had a dream last night?” So if anyone had
seen a dream he would narrate it. The Prophet would say:
“Ma sha’a-llah” (An Arabic maxim meaning literally, ‘What
Allah wished,’ and it indicates a good omen.) One day, he
asked us whether anyone of us had seen a dream. We replied
in the negative. The Prophet said, “But I had seen (a
dream) last night that two men came to me, caught hold of
my hands, and took me to the Sacred Land (Jerusalem).
There, I saw a person sitting and another standing with an
iron hook in his hand pushing it inside the mouth of the
former till it reached the jaw-bone, and then tore off one
side of his cheek, and then did the same with the other
side; in the mean-time the first side of his cheek became
normal again and then he repeated the same operation again.
I said, ‘What is this?’ They told me to proceed on and we
went on till we came to a man Lying flat on his back, and
another man standing at his head carrying a stone or a
piece of rock, and crushing the head of the Lying man, with
that stone. Whenever he struck him, the stone rolled away.The man went to pick it up and by the time he returned to
him, the crushed head had returned to its normal state and
the man came back and struck him again (and so on). I said,
‘Who is this?’ They told me to proceed on; so we proceeded
on and passed by a hole like an oven; with a narrow top and
wide bottom, and the fire was kindling underneath that
hole. Whenever the fire-flame went up, the people were
lifted up to such an extent that they about to get out of
it, and whenever the fire got quieter, the people went down
into it, and there were naked men and women in it. I said,
‘Who is this?’ They told me to proceed on. So we proceeded
on till we reached a river of blood and a man was in it,
and another man was standing at its bank with stones in
front of him, facing the man standing in the river.
Whenever the man in the river wanted to come out, the other
one threw a stone in his mouth and caused him to retreat to
his original position; and so whenever he wanted to come
out the other would throw a stone in his mouth, and he
would retreat to his original position. I asked, ‘What is
this?’ They told me to proceed on and we did so till we
reached a well-flourished green garden having a huge tree
and near its root was sitting an old man with some children. (I saw) Another man near the tree with fire in front of him and he was kindling it up. Then they (i.e. my two companions) made me climb up the tree and made me enter a house, better than which I have ever seen. In it were some old men and young men, women and children.
Then they took me out of this house and made me climb up
the tree and made me enter another house that was better
and superior (to the first) containing old and young
people. I said to them (i.e. my two companions), ‘You have
made me ramble all the night. Tell me all about that I have
seen.’ They said, ‘Yes. As for the one whose cheek you saw
being torn away, he was a liar and he used to tell lies,
and the people would report those lies on his authority
till they spread all over the world. So, he will be punished like that till the Day of Resurrection.
The one whose head you saw being crushed is the one whom
Allah had given the knowledge of Qur’an (i.e. knowing it by
heart) but he used to sleep at night (i.e. he did not recite it then) and did not use to act upon it (i.e. upon its orders etc.) by day; and so this punishment will go on till the Day of Resurrection. And those you saw in the hole (like oven) were adulterers (those men and women who commit illegal sexual intercourse). And those you saw in the river of blood were those dealing in Riba (usury). And the old man who was sitting at the base of the tree was Abraham and the little children around him were the offspring of the people. And the one who was kindling the fire was Malik, the gate-keeper of the Hell-fire. And the first house in which you have gone was the house of the common believers, and the second house was of the martyrs. I am Gabriel and this is Michael. Raise your head.’ I raised my head and saw a thing like a cloud over me. They said, ‘That is your place.’ I said, ‘Let me enter my place.’ They said, ‘You still have some life which you have not yet completed, and when you complete (that remaining portion of your life) you will then enter your place.'”
- Acquire knowledge, it enables its possessor to distinguish right from wrong; it lights the way to heaven.